We’re off and running!
We hope your student is ready for an amazing experience as a member of the CMK! Their hard work will pay off! Below are a few tips about what to expect for summer band camp, upcoming football games, contests, etc.
Summer Band Camp
- Summer uniforms: Band members wear running shorts, WHITE t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Color guard wear black running shorts and WHITE t-shirts. No colored shirts please. Guard sometimes have themed days and you will be notified ahead of time what to wear for those.
- Bring hats and sunglasses and loads of sunscreen. You’ve seen everyone outside on the hot pavement. That’s where much of the day is spent. Be prepared.
- You’ll need to get a water jug that’s either half gallon or gallon size. You can fill it with water, propel, or gatorade and you’re going to need it!
- Drop off times: the expectation is to be early. If camp starts at 8am, that means you’ve put your things away, have your instrument / flag in hand, made any pit stops needed, and are field ready at 8am. Arriving at 8am will mean you are LATE.
- Lunch: Bring a lot of healthy food. You’re working hard and burning a lot of energy. Eating gross heavy food may result in an upset stomach. Bring a good healthy lunch. During lunch, you’ll get to talk with other members of the band and color guard while you eat. It’s a great time to get to know new people and ask questions.
- Treats: Each band section has section mom leaders and the color guard will have guard moms that will help coordinate bringing treats for the end of a practice. This isn’t an everyday occurrence, but is a great way to end a hard day’s work. Parents will bring only for your child’s section.
- Parents can watch and the end of any practice. We’ll have special times that we want everyone to come out and support the kids by cheering them on, but parents are welcome to come to pick up early and see the progress the band is making.
- CMK practice at home after practice! All Color Guard members will get a flag to take home and practice, and all band will need to rehearse their parts after practice is over.
- Spirit Wear: Orders for spirit wear begin in the summer. Order more than you may want as a parent because you’ll want to wear spirit wear for every band event so it’s easy to spot you. Don’t forget to order winter wear too, even though it’s summer! Spirit wear orders happen only twice!
- Stickers for cars will be part of the spirit wear order forms. Get one if you can. It’s nice to know others who are with CMK when traveling on the road to events.
- Volunteers: we need a lot of help with a variety of things throughout the entire season and beyond. There will be sign-ups during summer camps for some initial activities. Please be highly involved. It’s great way to meet other parents, help the band, and show your support to your child.
Football Games, Contests, Food, and Volunteer Needs!
- Our CMK will perform at all HOME Football games (weather permitting). They will open with the National Anthem, perform at halftime, and will play the school song when our fierce football team scores!
- We participate in two different contest strings. The ISSMA contests are for the state of Indiana only. The BOA (Bands of America) contests are open to bands across the country. Check out both websites in the LINKS section of the page if you’re interested in more information.
- When it’s contest time, all students are REQUIRED to ride the school buses to the contest venue. If you want to take your student home with you afterwards, you’ll need to send in a note prior, and sign him/her out at the bus after the contest concludes. No students leave early. More info about sign out due dates will come from Mr. Dean via email.
- We travel in this band. We perform locally, but also will go to Clarksville, TN, and to Indianapolis 5 weekends in a row. We recommend you plan early if you want to find a hotel room in Indy during Colts season. Same rules as above apply for travel, except for all-band overnight stays. For overnight stays, all students are required to stay with the band.
- We believe building relationships builds our band. We want to have food, fellowship, and fun together, and you’ll see extra events throughout the year in which we will come together to eat and/or play. Please support these events as much as possible. They are so important to the students and to our band family.
- Fundraising events are not optional. We need every band member to participate fully to keep our band costs down.
- To keep things going, we need help. We need A LOT of help. There is no need to sign up for everything, but your help will be needed and we can’t to do it without our parents. We’re family and we’re counting on each other to make this a great experience for each and every student who is out there in the heat everyday to achieve great things. You may even be surprised at how much fun you’ll have!